25/09/2023

Tribute to Chiruca boots

 

My dear Chiruca boots after 20 years. Happy birthday for them.

As you probably know, I used Chiruca boots from 2002 to 2016 for everything. That includes the round the world trip and actually all trips during those years. They are still in good shape but I stop using them as a daily shoes in 2016. The thing which surprises me the most is the laces don’t show any damage sign yet! Diamond-made I guess. The best item I’ve bought in my live.

From 2017 to 2022 I switched to trail running shoes, a great, confortable and light new solution for all kind of scenarios, including a meeting with a minister, which actually happened. But quality in The North Face brand is quite poor. Laces were broken just after 2-3 months. A red flag alerting of such a profit oriented product. Anyways I was happy with those shoes and they were my only shoes until they full broken this year 2022.

And now after looking for a replacement everywhere … I’m back to Chiruca. This time a more versatile and light sneakers more suitable for tropical places. The first feeling after a few weeks of use is super great. Let’s see how they behave. They are not the ones shown in the drawing. That’s a new model I took to illustrate an ergonomic item could also have an amazing design.

Just to mention some numbers. Old Chiruca boots costs me 72,87€ in 2002. Actually I paid them in pesetas, just before the euro came. Up to 2016 when I retired them, results a cost of 5,20€/year, 0,43€/month. Great quality/cost ratio. Wearing good shoes for less than a Starbucks coffee PER YEAR. And as I said, I can still use them.






No comments: